The Old Lone Star Brewery complex is located at 200 West Jones Avenue, downtown San Antonio, county of Bexar, in the U.S. state of Texas. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.HistoryThe design of the complex has been described as "...done up with turrets and battlements the way Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria might have done it, if he had been a St. Louis beer brewer." It was built with funding from San Antonio businessmen John H. Kampmann and Edward Hope, as well as St. Louis businessman Adolphus Busch, who was president of the Lone Star Brewing Company.In 1920 the 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the resulting Volstead Act prohibited alcoholic beverages in the country. During this period, the brewery housed the Lone Star Cotton Mills. Prohibition ended in the United States in 1933 when the 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution repealed the 18th Amendment. However, by that time the building had been temporarily abandoned, and the original brewery owners never occupied it again. The Lone Star name was taken over by a new company that opened a plant at 400 Lone Star Boulevard in San Antonio. The complex was occupied by several different businesses for three decades until it was sold to the San Antonio Museum Association in the 1970s. It is currently home to the San Antonio Museum of Art.